Thursday, January 24, 2013

First Post from Northern Ireland!!!

After what seems like an eternity of travel I am here safely in Derry, Northern Ireland.  The country in beautiful and the people are very friendly.  Today was full with orientation, advising, and shopping for necessities such as toilet paper (which was not available in my room when I arrived last night).  Living in another country is a wonderful, but it does pose some challenges.  First off I have been almost run over thanks to my elementary education that taught me how to cross the street.  Cars drive on the opposite side of the road here which is important even when you are not driving if you don't want to be run over!  I also learned that I have no poker face.  People can tell instantly when I have no idea what they are saying.  One of the guys presenting today thought it was hilarious to point out the panic on my face as he could tell that he was speaking too fast for me to understand.  The accent will take a while to get used to, but I still feel like I could listen to everybody just talk for days!  It has been a busy few days and we are all still trying to work out how our technology works, so I will be taking pictures later this week to post, but get ready because this place is gorgeous!  Sending my love to all of you back home!

1 comment:

  1. This is so adorable! I can just picture your face so intently trying to find a word that makes the sentence so you know what is being said! Glad you are finding your way and please by all means look both ways before you cross any street :)
    We miss you, it will be hard to not see you at church Sunday. But I am going to do a mental visualization of you surrounded in a field of green! Love - Steph

    ReplyDelete