Tuesday, April 30, 2013

In Dublin's Fair City...

I haven't written a post in a few weeks because we slowed down our travels a bit after Easter and I've actually been busy working on coursework.  Last week was the last week of lectures and this week is exam review followed by a reading week and exams.  We all seem to be a bit more busy than we were and we are quickly learning that studying in Ireland has made us a bit more lazy about school work than we might have hoped.  We were lucky enough to take a bit of a break from working this weekend though and make a trip to Dublin.
Dublin is a great city, but we learned quickly that it is very different from Derry.  It was a lovely place to visit and there were plenty of things to see and do, but I couldn't handle living there for an extended amount of time.  Though I wouldn't want to live in Dublin I had the best time visiting.  We got to see St. Patrick's Cathedral which was beautiful inside and out.  I learned about how Guinness is made and poured a perfect pint at the Guinness Storehouse.  We visited Jameson Distillery  but didn't have time for a tour because we were also headed to Dublin zoo where I got to see 6 giraffes (which absolutely made my day).  Then we headed back into the city center to visit the Wax museum which was a bit disappointing except for the horror room which was terrifying!  After a full day of adventuring we even woke up early the next morning and visited Trinity College, Dublin and saw the library and the Book of Kells which was inspiring.  Then, as if the weekend wasn't eventful enough (especially since we were celebrating Stephanie's birthday) we went to see The Lion King which was just beginning its run in Dublin.  The show was absolutely breathtaking and I was taken aback by the music as well as the ability of the actors to portray animals so well.
We ended our stay in Dublin in the typical Irish fashion by enjoying dinner in a local pub followed by drinks to celebrate Stephanie's 21st birthday while listening to live traditional music.  It is sad to think back and realize that my time in Ireland is coming to an end and that this was the last Irish adventure that Megan, Stephanie, and I will take together.  I feel like it was only a few weeks ago that I arrived and I am already having to say goodbye to people and a place that I have come to love so dearly, but there is time to dwell on that later.  For now I am still here and am determined to make the best of the time that I have left here.  This time is a blessing and I intend to enjoy every last bit of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment