Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Paris in Paris and home again soon!

Having Shannon here has been wonderful and we have had some really great adventures! I have gotten to show her around my temporary home in Derry and take her to some of my favorite places on the Northern Coast.  We got to travel together to Galway and see the Cliffs of Moher and even travel to London and Paris.
I had already been to London, but that did not make this trip any less of an adventure.  The day before we got to London a soldier was killed on the street where our hostel was but we didn't hear about it because we were traveling.  We found out when a riot broke out just after we walked into a grocery store to ask for directions.  The manager of the store drove us out of town so that we could find somewhere safer to stay at least for the night.  We were safe and had no more problems during our stay in London.  We saw many beautiful things and enjoyed a city very different from Derry.  I think my favorite part of London was walking through Westminster Abbey for several hours and having Eucharist while we were there closely followed by seeing Singing in the Rain on stage.  We were also fortunate enough to get seats on an overnight bus to Paris after being unable to find a place to stay our last night in London.
Paris was a dream, especially once I was rested enough to fully enjoy it.  Simply walking through the streets was enough for me before we saw anything else.  Paris was one place that I wanted to see before I died and I am glad that I took the time to go see it, even though this point in my time in Ireland in precious.  The highlight of Paris was simply sitting by the Eiffel Tower, whether it was to watch the sunset, eat a dinner of baguettes and wine, or watch it brilliantly sparkle at night.  My time in Paris is something that I will cherish for a long time to come and I couldn't have shared my time with a better person than Shannon.
I've now packed up everything in my room and I'm leaving Derry tomorrow to stay near the airport for an early morning flight.  It is a very bitter-sweet time for me and my feelings are quite polorized.  I couldn't be more excited to get home and see family and friends that I have missed dearly, but it is definitely harder than I could have ever imagined to leave Ireland and the amazing friends that have become like family since I have been here.  I know that this is not goodbye forever because I will be back to my second home and I will see all of these people again, but I can already feel how much I will miss this place.  I have changed a lot as a person during my time abroad and I am very excited to share those changes with everyone at home, but I will definitely be leaving a part of my hear behind.
So Ireland, this is goodbye for now, but not goodbye forever.  Thank you for the amazing memories that I will cherish forever, the amazing friends that I will hold close to my heart, and the beautiful sights I will never forget.  Sláin go fóil!

No comments:

Post a Comment