Monday, March 11, 2013

"By seeing London, I have seen as much of life as the world can show" -Samuel Johnson

Last weekend I went on my first big outing...off the Island.  They say traveling in Europe is easy once you're here...and compared to traveling from the States that may be true, but traveling to London from Londonderry was not the easiest thing that I've done.
After several buses, taxis, and a plane, we made it to our hostel in Victoria, London at about 2:00 in the afternoon.  After a brief nap we decided to venture out into the city.  We decided, after a treat, to walk first to Buckingham Palace.  The palace is enormous and beautiful!  I saw the famous guards out front, though you can't get as close to them as I once thought that you could.  We took pictures outside the gate and around the statue and fountain in front of the gate, and noticed that the flag was flying which meant that Queen Elizabeth was home.  Then we walked, through the darkness of early evening to Big Ben and the London Eye which were both beautiful in the falling snow at night.  Feeling accomplished enough with our day we headed to dinner and then to bed to rest up for Saturday.
Saturday was packed full of adventure and overwhelming...it is hard for me to even remember what all we got to do on Saturday.  We went to platform 9 3/4 and lived out our Harry Potter dreams and walked all over the rest of the city.  By the time we made it back to the hostel at the end of the day we calculated that we walked over 6 miles.  Needless to say we slept soundly before our adventure on Sunday.
With so many things to see and do it is hard to put them all into a post that isn't too long to read.  For the most part I can say that everything we saw was amazing and I would gladly go back to London!  Now that I'm actually back from a weekend in Belfast I will try to post about that soon so that I can also post about St. Patrick's Day which is this weekend.  I'm excited to share all of my adventures, I just hope I can keep better track of my posts than I have for the past few weeks.  Remember to check Facebook for pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment